According to Rolling Stone, MÖTLEY CRÜE will hit the road next year for a U.S. tour with fellow hard rock acts POISON and DEF LEPPARD. Sources have confirmed to the magazine that the three acts will perform at stadiums around the country.
The upcoming trek means that the four members of MÖTLEY CRÜE have collectively agreed to rip up the "cessation of touring" contract that they signed in 2014 preventing any of them from performing under the CRÜE name in the future.
In 2015, MÖTLEY CRÜE completed "The Final Tour", closing the book on the band's iconic career after performing a total of 164 shows in 72 markets, grossing over $100 million.
The Rolling Stone report comes just days after THE BLACK CROWES' manager, Mark DiDia of Red Light Management, stated during an appearance on "The Howard Stern Wrap-Up Show" that MÖTLEY CRÜE, DEF LEPPARD and POISON were teaming up for a 2020 tour.
"There's a MÖTLEY CRÜE / POISON / DEF LEPPARD tour coming, there's a RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE... AC/DC's coming," DiDia said. "There's a lot of rock coming out next year. God bless Drake and Billie Eilish and all that, they're streaming music and they have a lot of followers. Rock doesn't stream, but there's a thing that's happening. I think people miss guitars and bass and drums."
Last month, Radar Online reported that MÖTLEY CRÜE had been offered $150 million by Live Nation to reunite for a tour but only if singer Vince Neil lost 40 pounds and got treatment. The report also claimed that Neil and drummer Tommy Lee were locked in a war of words as they allegedly bickered over who should go to rehab first.
A week later, Neil took to Twitter to quash the report, insisting that the rumors were false and claiming that he hadn't spoken to any of his bandmates since the March premiere of the film adaptation of their 2001 autobiography "The Dirt". "There is no tension between me and Tommy," he wrote. "Don't believe anything from these so-called gossip sites."
POISON singer Bret Michaels has repeatedly stated in recent interviews that his band will return to the road in 2020 and he claimed he was "working real hard" to put together an "incredible" and "really awesome" package tour with other acts.
Last Friday, MÖTLEY CRÜE fueled rumors of a possible reunion by promoting an online petition asking the group to come back. The band's official Twitter account shared a link to a Change.org petition started by "Motley Mann", and included the brief message, "This is interesting…"
Back in 2014, bassist Nikki Sixx told Rolling Stone that MÖTLEY CRÜE couldn't legally play again after the completion of the farewell tour. "The only loophole is if all four band members agreed to do it, we could override our own contract," he said. "But we know that will never happen. There are people in this band who will refuse to ever do it again, and you're talking to one of them. There is no amount of money that would ever make me do it again because I have such pride in how we’re ending it.
"If anybody ever — and I don't believe anybody ever would — would call any other bandmembers and say, 'Hey, it's been 10 years, let's just do 10 shows. A million a pop,' it could never happen unless all four bandmembers agreed," Sixx added. "And if we did agree, the way we've set it up — including this conversation right now — we'd have so much egg on our face. We have so much pride that that alone would stop it."
After the members of MÖTLEY CRÜE reunited last year to record four new songs for "The Dirt" film, some fans assumed that the group would be open to the idea of playing together again at a special event to promote the movie. But Sixx shot down the idea earlier this year, telling Rolling Stone: "Sometimes I look out at my friends, like the guys in AEROSMITH and METALLICA, and I'm, like, 'God damn it, did we retire too soon?' But there will be no one-offs in our future. Maybe we'll just get together and jam in [guitarist] Mick Mars's front room."