Earlier this year, QUIET RIOT played several shows this year without drummer Frankie Banali, marking the first time ever that the band performed without any of the members from its classic lineup: Banali, singer Kevin DuBrow, guitarist Carlos Cavazo and bassist Rudy Sarzo.
Frankie returned to the stage with QUIET RIOT this past Saturday night (October 26) at the Whisky A Go Go in West Hollywood, California. The show marked the drummer's first performance with the group since he announced he was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer.
Speaking to MA Entertainment Global, Frankie said about his absence from the road (hear udio below): "What ended up happening is after I was diagnosed [in April], I was able to do a festival date in Florida in April, and then in May, I was able to do the M3 festival. After that, my doctors said that I wasn't fit to fly or be away from the facilities where I was getting, or about to get, treatment. So it prevented me from playing a lot of dates this year from QUIET RIOT out on the road, although in August I was able to do two local L.A.-area dates, because I didn't have to fly. And then I just did the Whisky this past Saturday, the 26th [of October]. But they've given me the green light to go ahead and play the last two shows of the year, one in November and one in December, as well as I'm gonna be going to Japan to play a show there with a Japanese artist, Mr. Jimmy, in December as well. And we're gonna start doing treatment, my chemotherapy and my recovery time based on when I have to fly out to do dates. So I'll be back out on the road with QUIET RIOT for the end of this year and into 2020."
According to Banali, the support he has received from his fans after his cancer diagnosis announcement has been "incredible." He said: "It's given me even more strength to continue the fight. I have no intentions of giving up the fight, regardless of which way this goes."
At some of QUIET RIOT's recent shows, Banali was replaced by Johnny Kelly (DANZIG, TYPE O NEGATIVE).
Banali resurrected QUIET RIOT in 2010, three years after the death of founding member and singer Kevin DuBrow.
QUIET RIOT went through two vocalists — Mark Huff and Scott Vokoun — before settling on Jizzy Pearl in 2013. Pearl announced his exit from QUIET RIOT in October 2016 and was briefly replaced by Seann Nichols, who played only five shows with the group before the March 2017 arrival of "American Idol" finalist James Durbin. Pearl returned to QUIET RIOT in September.
QUIET RIOT's new studio album, "Hollywood Cowboys" — featuring Durbin on vocals — will be released on November 8 via Frontiers Music Srl.