FRANKIE BANALI Says Decision To Sit Out QUIET RIOT Shows Was 'Very Painful'

FRANKIE BANALI Says Decision To Sit Out QUIET RIOT Shows Was 'Very Painful'

Earlier this year, QUIET RIOT played several shows this year without drummer Frankie Banali, marking the first time ever that the band performed without any of the members from its classic lineup: Banali, singer Kevin DuBrow, guitarist Carlos Cavazo and bassist Rudy Sarzo.

Frankie returned to the stage with QUIET RIOT this past Saturday night (October 26) at the Whisky A Go Go in West Hollywood, California. The show marked the drummer's first performance with the group since he announced he was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer.

Speaking to Sonic Perspectives, Frankie said that "having to make [the] decision" to sit out QUIET RIOT shows was "very painful" for him. "Immediately after I was diagnosed on April 17th, two days later I started working on the mixes with engineer Neil Citron for the 'Hollywood Cowboys' record," he said (hear audio below). "And a couple of days after I had my first biopsy, I flew to Florida and did a festival with the band. And then again on May 5th, I did the M3 festival. After that, my oncologist and my medical team and the surgeons said that it would be impossible for me to fly. And that was a really difficult decision for me to make, because I had always prided myself to not only be the only drummer that's played on every single QUIET RIOT record since 'Metal Health', but I had never missed a show in my entire life, and that was a very difficult decision for me to make. But I couldn't think of just myself — I had to think of the bigger picture — so I decided to move forward, even though I wouldn't be able to perform."

At some of QUIET RIOT's recent shows, Banali was replaced by Johnny Kelly (DANZIG, TYPE O NEGATIVE).

Banali resurrected QUIET RIOT in 2010, three years after the death of founding member and singer Kevin DuBrow.

QUIET RIOT went through two vocalists — Mark Huff and Scott Vokoun — before settling on Jizzy Pearl in 2013. Pearl announced his exit from QUIET RIOT in October 2016 and was briefly replaced by Seann Nichols, who played only five shows with the group before the March 2017 arrival of "American Idol" finalist James Durbin. Pearl returned to QUIET RIOT in September.

QUIET RIOT's new studio album, "Hollywood Cowboys" — featuring Durbin on vocals — will be released on November 8 via Frontiers Music Srl.

Tags:

Posted in: News

COMMENTS

To comment on a BLABBERMOUTH.NET story or review, you must be logged in to an active personal account on Facebook. Once you're logged in, you will be able to comment. User comments or postings do not reflect the viewpoint of BLABBERMOUTH.NET and BLABBERMOUTH.NET does not endorse, or guarantee the accuracy of, any user comment. To report spam or any abusive, obscene, defamatory, racist, homophobic or threatening comments, or anything that may violate any applicable laws, use the "Report to Facebook" and "Mark as spam" links that appear next to the comments themselves. To do so, click the downward arrow on the top-right corner of the Facebook comment (the arrow is invisible until you roll over it) and select the appropriate action. You can also send an e-mail to blabbermouthinbox(@)gmail.com with pertinent details. BLABBERMOUTH.NET reserves the right to "hide" comments that may be considered offensive, illegal or inappropriate and to "ban" users that violate the site's Terms Of Service. Hidden comments will still appear to the user and to the user's Facebook friends. If a new comment is published from a "banned" user or contains a blacklisted word, this comment will automatically have limited visibility (the "banned" user's comments will only be visible to the user and the user's Facebook friends).