A free public memorial service for legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW) took place yesterday (Saturday, May 16) at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills on Saturday, May 16 to commemorate the fifth anniversary of Ronnie's passing. Several of Dio's former bandmates and friends who worked with Ronnie over his illustrious career spoke and performed his music.
The following songs were performed at the event:
* "Lisa" (acoustic) - Lita Ford, Patrick Kennison (THE UNION UNDERGROUND), Marty O'Brien
* "Heaven & Hell" (acoustic) - GREAT WHITE
* "Last In Line" (acoustic) - GREAT WHITE feat. Lorraine Lewis (FEMME FETALE)
* "Take Her" - ROUGH CUTT (Paul Shortino, Amir Derakh, Chris Hager, Matt Thorne, Dave Alford)
* "Mistreated" - John Payne (ASIA), Rock Feinstein (ELF, THE RODS), Christian Martucci (STONE SOUR), Sean McNabb (QUIET RIOT, DOKKEN, GREAT WHITE), Roy Mayorga (STONE SOUR) and Scott Warren (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL)
* "Rainbow In The Dark" - Gabbie Rae, Rowan Robertson (DIO), Rudy Sarzo (QUIET RIOT, OZZY OSBOURNE, WHITESNAKE, DIO), Vinny Appice (BLACK SABBATH, DIO, RICK DERRINGER, HEAVEN & HELL) and Scott Warren (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL)
* "Sign Of The Southern Cross" - Ann Boleyn, Craig Goldy (DIO), Sean McNabb (QUIET RIOT, DOKKEN, GREAT WHITE), Simon Wright (DIO, AC/DC) and Scott Warren (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL)
* "Stargazer" - DIO DISCIPLES: Oni Logan (LYNCH MOB), Joe Retta (SWEET, HEAVEN & EARTH), Craig Goldy (DIO), Bjorn Englen (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, HELLION), Simon Wright (DIO, AC/DC) and Scott Warren (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL)
* "Stand Up And Shout" - Ricky Warwick (BLACK STAR RIDERS), Robbie Crane (BLACK STAR RIDERS), Chris Broderick (MEGADETH, ACT OF DEFIANCE), Jimmy Bain (DIO, RAINBOW) and Vinny Appice (BLACK SABBATH, DIO, HEAVEN & HELL)
Fan-filmed video footage of the performances can be seen below.
Ronnie James Dio died of stomach cancer five years ago (May 16, 2010) at the age of 67.
Dio was renowned throughout the world as one of the greatest and most influential vocalists in heavy metal history. The singer, who was recording and touring with SABBATH offshoot HEAVEN & HELL prior to his illness, was diagnosed with stomach cancer in late 2009. He underwent chemotherapy and made what is now his final public appearance in April 2010 at the Revolver Golden Gods Awards in Los Angeles.
In March 2011, it was announced that the surviving members of the final lineup of DIO would embark on a project with former JUDAS PRIEST frontman Tim "Ripper" Owens under the name DIO DISCIPLES.
Ronnie James Dio, real name Ronald James Padavona, was born in New Hampshire on July 10, 1942.
He moved to Cortland, New York at a young age, where he began playing with local acts. A street in Cortland, Dio Way, was named after him in 1988.
He released his first single, with a band called RONNIE AND THE REDCAPS, in 1959.
His first heavy rock act, ELF, released three albums and opened for DEEP PURPLE, where Dio's voice caught the ear of guitarist Ritchie Blackmore. Blackmore recruited Dio for his own band, RAINBOW, after leaving PURPLE in 1975.
Dio recorded three studio albums and one live set with RAINBOW before exiting in 1978, including "Rising" and "Long Live Rock And Roll".
He replaced Ozzy Osbourne in BLACK SABBATH in 1980, recording the "Heaven And Hell" and "Mob Rules" albums, plus "Live Evil", before leaving in 1982. He rejoined the group 10 years later for an album called "Dehumanizer", and again teamed with the group under the HEAVEN & HELL banner in 2006. HEAVEN & HELL released an album called "The Devil You Know" in 2009.
He also recorded 10 studio albums with his own band, DIO, including a classic 1983 debut, "Holy Diver", and an equally renowned follow-up, 1984's "The Last In Line".
Dio was also behind the HEAR N' AID project, a collection of metal artists who recorded the track "Stars" in 1985 to raise funds for African famine relief.