A new trailer for "Quarterpast", the debut album from MAYAN, the new band featuring EPICA guitarist/songwriter Mark Jansen alongside Jack Driessen (ex-AFTER FOREVER) and Frank Schiphorst, can be viewed below. Due on May 20 via Nuclear Blast Records, the CD was recorded and mixed by Sascha Paeth (EPICA, KAMELOT).
"Quarterpast" track listing:
01. Symphony Of Aggression
02. Mainstay Of Society
04. Course Of Life
05. The Savage Massacre
06. Essenza Di Te
07. Bite The Bullet
08. Drown The Demon
09. Celibate Aphrodite
10. War On Terror
12. Sinner's Last Retreat (bonus track)
"Quarterpast" features vocal contributions from the following musicians:
* Mark Jansen (EPICA, ex-AFTER FOREVER)
* Ariën van Weesenbeek (EPICA)
* Jack Driessen (ex-AFTER FOREVER)
* Floor Jansen (REVAMP, ex-AFTER FOREVER)
* Simone Simons (EPICA)
* Henning Basse (SONS OF SEASONS)
* Laura Macrì (Italian opera singer)
The song "Drown The Demon" is available for free download at this location. It can also be streamed in the YouTube clip below.
Due to his "very busy schedule," bassist Jeroen Paul Thesseling (PESTILENCE, OBSCURA) recently left MAYAN and was replaced by Rob van der Loo (ex-SUN CAGED, DELAIN).
In an interview with The Great Southern Brainfart, Mark Jansen stated about MAYAN, "It started as just something for fun but soon it grew into something that had to be perfect as well. I thought it was just for fun to make music with old friends but now it's as serious for me as EPICA is. Of course, EPICA remains my priority band and that's the band that's doing the most of the tours but MAYAN will fill in the gaps and maybe we will do some touring with EPICA in the future."
When asked if the MAYAN material will — conceptually and lyrically — be similar to EPICA, Mark replied, "Lyrically, you will find a lot of comparisons because it's my style of writing. I didn't attempt to write about completely different stuff. It could have been lyrics for an EPICA CD as well but music-wise it's completely different. It contains way more grunts and it's way more heavy. It is still symphonic because I love that kind of music. It's like a mixture of SYMPHONY X and OPETH style. That kind of direction."
* Mark Jansen (EPICA, ex-AFTER FOREVER) – Guitar, Vocals
* Jack Driessen (ex-AFTER FOREVER) - Keyboards
* Frank Schiphorst - Guitar, Vocals
* Rob van der Loo (ex-SUN CAGED, DELAIN) - Bass
* Isaac Delahaye (EPICA) - Guitar
* Ariën van Weesenbeek (EPICA) - Drums
For more information, visit MAYAN's official MySpace page.