EAGLES OF DEATH METAL's Jesse "Boots Electric" Hughes is tipping his hat to 13 of his favorite songs with his first covers album, titled "Eagles Of Death Metal Presents Boots Electric Performing The Best Songs We Never Wrote". Set for worldwide release on June 7 by UMe, the album is available now for preorder in digital, CD, 180-gram black vinyl LP, and limited edition 180-gram red-and-blue marble swirl vinyl LP formats.
Hughes has recorded and produced electrifying renditions of 13 songs he loves, joined by special guests for some tracks and flying solo for others. All but one song were recorded in California at Brunswick House Of Dangerous Thoughts, Valentine Studios, and Rancho De La Luna. The album was mixed and engineered at Valentine Studios by Nic Jodoin (who also co-produced six of the album's tracks with Hughes).
Hughes blasts off with KISS's "God Of Thunder", GUNS N' ROSES' "It's So Easy", AC/DC's "High Voltage" / "It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)", LOVE & ROCKETS' "So Alive" and the RAMONES' "Beat On The Brat". He lets the fire get higher on STEVE MILLER BAND's "Abracadabra" and delivers a breathtaking turn on George Michael's "Careless Whisper". Hughes's inspired cover of Mary J. Blige's "Family Affair" leads to two songs keeping it in the family: he gives love to his musical brother and EODM co-founder, Joshua "Baby Duck" Homme, and Josh's wife, Brody Dalle, with his versions of QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE's "Long Slow Goodbye" and THE DISTILLERS' "The Hunger". Bringing the album home, Hughes salutes KENNY ROGERS & THE FIRST EDITION's "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In)", Cat Stevens's "Trouble" and David Bowie's "Moonage Daydream", which Hughes recorded in Third Man Records' Record Booth in Nashville while on tour.
Formed in 1998 in Palm Desert, California by best friends Jesse Hughes and Joshua Homme, EAGLES OF DEATH METAL (EODM) is not a death metal band. The story goes that a friend was introducing Homme to the death metal genre, and Homme wondered what a cross between THE EAGLES and a death metal band would sound like. With that, EODM was born. The band released "Peace Love Death Metal" in 2004, followed by "Death By Sexy" in 2006, "Heart On" in 2008, and "Zipper Down" in 2015.
"Eagles Of Death Metal Presents Boots Electric Performing The Best Songs We Never Wrote" track listing:
01. God Of Thunder (original by KISS)
02. It's So Easy (original by GUNS N' ROSES)
03. High Voltage / It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll) (originals by AC/DC)
04. So Alive (original by LOVE & ROCKETS)
05. Beat On The Brat (original by the RAMONES)
06. Abracadabra (original by STEVE MILLER BAND)
07. Careless Whisper (original by George Michael)
08. Family Affair (original by Mary J. Blige)
09. The Hunger (original by THE DISTILLERS)
10. Long Slow Goodbye (original by QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE)
11. Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In) (original by KENNY ROGERS & THE FIRST EDITION)
12. Trouble (original by Cat Stevens)
13. Moonage Daydream (original by David Bowie)