DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has issued the following update via his official web site:
"Yes, indeed, I have been able to take some time off (DREAM THEATER's first summer off in 10 years...wow!) to squeeze in some much-needed rest and relaxation time with my wonderful wife and children...but as you all know, 'all rest and no work makes Mike a bored boy' (or something like that...), so here's some of the activities filling up any of my time away from the pool:
* After the DREAM THEATER tour ended, I spent the first few months of my 'vacation' working on the 'Score' CD and DVD (which I directed)... As I'm sure you all now know, they will be released on August 29th (date varies in different countries). As I've already stated, the show at Radio City Music Hall was a career highlight for me and this DVD totally does that incredible evening complete justice, capturing all of the energy and magic in the air. Also, the 20-year retrospective documentary on the second disc is well worth the price of admission alone as it covers every step of our career through interviews and rare archival footage and serves as the ultimate DREAM THEATER historical piece.
* Then I did my WHO tribute shows, which surely lived up to the band's name, as it was truly an 'amazing journey!' Working with Paul [Gilbert], Billy [Sheehan] and Gary [Cherone] was totally awe inspiring and those gigs were some of the most fun I've had in my life.... At some point in the future, I will get to work on sorting through the tapes for a DVD/CD release to share this magical musical experience with the rest of the world... In the meantime, there are limited quantities of AMAZING JOURNEY shirts available in the online store as a souvenir from these special shows.
* I am just wrapping up work on the DVD of my RUSH tribute show from last year... so in the coming weeks 'Cygnus & The Sea Monsters - One Night In Chicago' will be available on CD and DVD exclusively from the online store here at MikePortnoy.com.
* In a few weeks, I will be heading up to Allaire Studios in upstate New York to begin work with Rob Wallis and Paul Seigel on my new drum instructional DVD. The 2-DVD set is going to be packed with footage, information and playing covering everything I have done (in DREAM THEATER and outside of DREAM THEATER) in the seven years since my last instructional video. The DVD (which will be entitled 'In Constant Motion') will hopefully be ready for a late 2006/early 2007 release through Hudson Music.
* Next month, I will be heading over to Nashville to record Neal Morse's latest progressive masterpiece...
* The 'Gigantour' DVD and CD will be out at the end of August/beginning of September which contains DREAM THEATER performing 'The Glass Prison' and 'Panic Attack' filmed in Montreal last year. The bonus footage on the DVD also contains great backstage stuff and should also have our version of 'Cemetery Gates' [PANTERA cover done as a tribute to 'Dimebag' Darrell Abbott] with the special guests (unless Dave [Mustaine] changed something from the final version I approved...)
"A few DREAM THEATER-related projects being done by outside parties that I've been keeping a 'watchful eye' over as a consultant are:
* 'The String Quartet Tribute to Dream Theater' which should be coming out in the fall 2006
* Rich Wilson's incredibly thorough authorized DREAM THEATER biography which should be ready for a release in early 2007
* Finally, DREAM THEATER will reconvene in September to begin work on our next studio album which we can hopefully have ready for a spring/summer 2007 release...."