Acclaimed Italian vocalist Fabio Lione (VISION DIVINE, RHAPSODY OF FIRE, KAMELOT), who recently joined Brazilian metallers ANGRA as the replacement for Eduardo "Edu" Falaschi, has answered a number of questions that were submitted by ANGRA fans on the band's Facebook page. Check out the first part of the question-and-answer session below.
ANGRA celebrated the 20th anniversary of the release of its 1993 debut album, "Angels Cry", with a special concert on August 25, 2013 at HSBC Brasil in São Paulo, Brazil.
As a means of celebrating its successful trajectory, the band took the opportunity to schedule a small tour through Brazil and Latin America, which culminated with the show in São Paulo, after 11 dates. If there was any aura of uncertainty towards the future, ANGRA shook it off for good with a very special concert, truly a night to remember. As guitar player Rafael Bittencourt put it, "For those who think we should quit, I tell you: we're just getting started". That pretty much summons up the very apparent joy that the band showed onstage, not only that night, but on the whole tour.
A stellar team of guests made everything even more special. Tarja Turunen, formerly of NIGHTWISH, lends her talent and angelic voice on two songs: "Stand Away" and Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights". On the latter, the legendary Uli Jon Roth (SCORPIONS) is also featured, and shows why he is such a reference for the majority of guitar players around the world. The Brazilian string quartet FAMILIA LIMA appears in three songs, and drummer Amilcar Christopharo, from the band TORTURE SQUAD, grabs the sticks on "Evil Warning", representing the metal bands from Brazil.
"Angels Cry 20th Anniversary Tour" was released as a separate DVD and a double CD, containing over 20 tracks in total and extra behind-the-scenes footage captured during the latest tour.
A performance clip of "Stand Away", taken from "Angels Cry 20th Anniversary Tour", can be seen below.
ANGRA's setlist was as follows:
01. Angels Cry
02. Nothing to Say
03. Waiting Silence
06. Millennium Sun (intro w/ Kiko Loureiro on keyboards)
07. Winds of Destination (intersection w/ Kiko Loureiro on keyboards)
08. Gentle Change
09. The Voice Commanding You (Rafael Bittencourt on vocals)
10. Late Redemption
11. Silence and Distance (intro w/ Kiko Loureiro on keyboards)
12. Reaching Horizons (Rafael Bittencourt on vocals)
13. Unholy Wars / Caça e Caçador (Rafael Bittencourt and Kiko Loureiro on vocals)
14. A Monster in Her Eyes (Rafael Bittencourt and Kiko Loureiro on vocals)
15. Make Believe (Rafael Bittencourt and Kiko Loureiro on vocals)
16. No Pain for the Dead (with Familia Lima on strings)
17. Stand Away (Tarja Turunen on vocals and Familia Lima on strings)
18. Wuthering Heights (Kate Bush cover) (Tarja Turunen on vocals and Uli Jon Roth on guitar)
19. Evil Warning (Amílcar Christófaro on drums)
20. Unfinished Allegro (Familia Lima on strings)
21. Carry On
23. The Sails Of Charon (SCORPIONS cover) (Uli Jon Roth on guitar and Rafael Bittencourt on vocals)
24. In Excelsis
25. Nova Era
Former ANGRA singer André Matos celebrated the 20th anniversary of "Angels Cry" by performing the LP in its entirety on his recent solo tour, which kicked off in March 2013. The show consisted of two parts, with the first part focusing on the material André wrote and recorded with SHAMAN and VIPER, as well as during his solo career.
Eduardo "Edu" Falaschi quit ANGRA in May 2012. He explained in a statement, "There comes a moment in a man's life when it is necessary to make a radical decision in order to move forward with dignity and renewed energy."
Falaschi joined ANGRA in 2000 and appeared on the band's last four studio albums — 2001's "Rebirth", 2004's "Temple Of Shadows", 2006's "Aurora Consurgens" and 2010's "Aqua".
"Stand Away" performance: