Massachusetts metallers UNEARTH have tapped drummer Justin Foley (KILLSWITCH ENGAGE) for the band's upcoming slot on this summer's Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival and subsequent European headlining tour (dubbed "Hell On Earth").Foley, who also performed on UNEARTH's upcoming "Darkness In The Light" album, takes the place of former drummer Derek Kerswill, who parted ways with the band last year due to creative differences. Comments UNEARTH vocalist Trevor Phipps: "It's great to have Justin on board for Mayhem and Hell On Earth. "We really wanted to start this album cycle with Justin behind the kit since he played on and completely slayed the new album. We've been friends for a long time and we recorded an album together, so this just makes sense and it gives us even more to look forward to this summer." Adds Foley: "I'm really looking forward to playing with some old friends, and spending a summer full of beers and breakdowns!" "Darkness In The Light" will be released on July 5 via Metal Blade Records. The CD was recorded at Zing Studios in Westfield, Massachusetts with producer (and KILLSWITCH ENGAGE guitarist) Adam Dutkiewicz. Sitting in on drums during the sessions was Justin Foley of KILLSWITCH ENGAGE/BLOOD HAS BEEN SHED. The effort was mixed by Mark Lewis (THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, WHITECHAPEL, DEVILDRIVER, TRIVIUM) from Audiohammer Studios in Sanford, Florida. "Darkness In The Light" track listing: 01. Watch It Burn (4:06)
02. Ruination Of The Lost (3:35)
03. Shadows Of The Light (3:45)
04. Eyes Of Black (3:53)
05. Last Wish (3:06)
06. Arise The War Cry (3:55)
07. Equinox (2:58)
08. Coming Of The Dark (3:07)
09. The Fallen (3:35)
10. Overcome (3:11)
11. Disillusion (3:37) Commented UNEARTH vocalist Trevor Phipps: "'Darkness In The Light' is without a doubt some of the heaviest, most dynamic and memorable tunes we've ever written. The disc is littered with the shred 'n' stomp-filled songs our fans would expect from us, as well as some added vocal hooks, guitar melodies, guitar solos and some different paths taken in style and structure. "We knew we had to continue to separate ourselves from the pack and to cement our place in the heavy metal world as one of the leaders and not as one of the many followers that seem to hop on the trend wagon and give up so easily when the going gets hard. We are here to stay and collectively we couldn't be any more fired up to play these songs around the world for our fans new and old."
The first single, the instantly pummeling "Eyes Of Black", is currently streaming in the YouTube clip below. Phipps said of the track, "We chose 'Eyes Of Black' to be the first song heard out of the gate as we feel it represents the 'UNEARTH sound' and style perfectly and it's simply a hard-hitting, catchy-as-hell song. The lyrics are also in line with many of the albums darker lyrical themes. I'm not speaking for all of the band, but this is my personal favorite on the album and I can't wait to get out there and play it live!"
Several pre-order deals for "Darkness In The Light" are available. Packages include:
* CD: $9.99
* CD + T-Shirt: $19.99
* CD + Unearth Beer Bong: $20.99
* CD + T-Shirt + Unearth Beer Bong: $29.99
For more information, visit www.darknessinthelightalbum.com.
UNEARTH recruited drummer Branden Morgan of MISERY SIGNALS to sit behind the kit for the band's European dates as part of last year's Persistence Tour.