Former ACCEPT singer Udo Dirkschneider says that he would have considered fronting AC/DC if he had been asked to step in for Brian Johnson on the Australian band's upcoming tour.
AC/DC postponed the last ten dates of its recent North American tour after Johnson was advised to stop playing live or "risk total hearing loss." The band has since announced that it will use GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose as a "guest vocalist" when it resumes its tour this weekend, with Johnson apparently not returning to the band at all.
In a brand new interview with MetalTalk.net, Dirkschneider confirmed that he had not been approached by AC/DC to fill in for Johnson on the upcoming shows, but added: "To be honest, I really was thinking about this. If they really called me [and asked me], it can maybe happen that I'd say, 'Yes, I'll do this.'"
Dirkschneider, whose band U.D.O. supported GUNS N' ROSES on some U.S. shows in 1988, also seemed to predict trouble when the Axl Rose-fronted version of AC/DC hits the road starting on May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal.
"I was on tour a long time in America with GUNS N' ROSES," he said with a smile. "We will see what's coming up. [Laughs]"
Johnson was forced to stop touring for now or risk going deaf, with AC/DC immediately beginning a search for a vocalist to complete the European shows and the rescheduled North American dates later in the year.
As previously reported, approximately 7,000 AC/DC fans who bought tickets to see the band on May 16 in Werchter, Belgium have asked for refunds, although those tickets have apparently since been resold.
A spokesperson for AC/DC told TeamRock that the band was not obligated to offer refunds, explaining, "The band made a decision to offer this. As they care about their fans and wanted to do right by them, they instructed local promoters to offer refunds."