Kyle Munson of DesMoinesRegister.com has published a list of memorable moments and quotable quotes from SLIPKNOT's new double-disc DVD, "Voliminal: Inside the Nine", which hits stores — and theaters — Tuesday (Dec. 5).
The first disc of "Voliminal" is a 90-minute, ADD-style film that weaves together a dizzying array of concert, backstage and studio footage. The full cycle of the band's most recent album, "Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)", is conveyed through this surreal collage, sans narration.
The second disc contains a tasty menu of music videos, live concert footage and revealing interviews with each band member — unmasked.
* We get a drumhead-on view of drummer Joey Jordison's solo while he's strapped into his rotating kit that spins 360 degrees above the arena stage. His virtuosity is on full display throughout the DVD.
* A clogged toilet overflows. Later, we see it plunged.
* Percussionist Chris Fehn's interview is conducted during a sunny round of golf on a course in the Des Moines metro.
* Crew-member Steve guzzles Jagermeister for his 34th birthday and a $900 cash prize. Later, we see the gross aftermath.
* "I spend a lot of time at home," guitarist Mick Thomson says of his behavior between tours. "I don't go out much. The neighbors are scared of me."
* DJ Sid Wilson creates clouds of smoke in his driveway by revving his racing motorcycle, burning rubber and then giggling about it.
* An entire stadium of fans goes crazy for the band in Tokyo.
* Singer Corey Taylor exhibits the crumbling remains of his very first mask. "It was melting to my face," he says.
* Mike D of the BEASTIE BOYS inspects a handgun backstage (for use in a concert skit) before slipping it onto his person.
* "I can only be the madman that I've been so long," percussionist Shawn Crahan says while speaking candidly about having missed an entire European tour to help care for his children and ailing wife. "I don't want to be 50 and just have my kids … say, well, 'You just never made time.'"
* A fight between two men erupts on a street outside a concert, likely somewhere in Europe.
* Wilson practices his rapping.
* Bassist Paul Gray improvises a TENACIOUS D-style folk song to acoustic guitar about his 2003 auto accident and drug arrest in Des Moines.
* A person (or persons) in a giant shark mask crops up throughout the film — smoking cigarettes, bonging a beer, etc.