This past Monday evening (January 12), Adopt The Arts — the Los Angeles-based charity that preserves and creates arts programs in U.S. public schools — gathered their industry friends for an epic night of music and a live auction at The Roxy in West Hollywood. The event — honoring music legends Billy Gibbons (ZZ TOP) and Butch Trucks (ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND) — was a smashing success, raising over $106,000 in one night for Adopt The Arts, which funds music programs in LAUSD elementary schools.
Artists thrilled the crowd performing with a rare set including classic hits from ZZ TOP and the ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND at the concert, which included honorees Billy Gibbons and Butch Trucks along with Slash, Duff McKagan (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER), Richie Sambora (BON JOVI), Steve Lukather (TOTO), Orianthi (ex-ALICE COOPER), Edgar Winter, Jimmy Vivino (Conan O'Brien), Billy Duffy (THE CULT), vocalist Franky Perez (APOCALYPTICA), Adopt The Arts founder Matt Sorum (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER). THE DISREPUTABLE FEW, a group of surprise killer musicians, served as the backing band for the night.
Here is the Adopt The Arts set list at The Roxy concert and live auction:
ZZ TOP set:
01. "Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers" (ZZ TOP) (w/Billy Gibbons, Damon Fox, Billy Duffy)
02. "Tush" (ZZ TOP) (w/ Billy Gibbons, Steve Lukather, Jimmy Vivino, Edgar Winter on organ)
03. "Cheap Sunglasses" (ZZ TOP) (w/Billy Gibbons, Edgar Winter on sax/ lead vocals with Gibbons)
04. "Rough Boy" (ZZ TOP) (w/Billy Gibbons, Richie Sambora, Orianthi, Matt Sorum)
05. "Waitin' For The Bus" (ZZ TOP) (w/Billy Gibbons, Matt Sorum, Duff McKagan)
06. "Jesus Just Left Chicago" (ZZ TOP) (w/Matt Sorum, Slash, Duff McKagan, Billy Gibbons)
07. "La Grange" (ZZ TOP) (w/Billy Gibbons, Matt Sorum, Slash, Duff McKagan, Steve Lukather, Richie Sambora, Edgar Winter on organ)
ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND set:
01. "Trouble No More" (ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND) (w/Jimmy Vivino, Butch Trucks)
02. "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'" (ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND) (w/Franky Perez)
03. "Midnight Rider" (ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND) (w/Richie Sambora, Orianthi)
04. "Stormy Monday" (ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND) (w/Edgar Winter on vocals/sax, Jimmy Vivino, Slash)
05. "One Way Out" (ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND) (w/Steve Lukather, Jimmy Vivino)
06. "Statesboro Blues" (ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND) (w/Butch Trucks, Billy Gibbons, Richie Sambora, Matt Sorum)
07. "Whipping Post" (ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND) (w/Butch Trucks, Matt Sorum, Slash, Richie Sambora and Billy Gibbons)
In between live performances, guests enjoyed a live and silent auction featuring generous donations and vacation packages from Adopt The Arts supporters.
The night was made possible by the Carter Lay Charitable Fund, which builds schools and provides education to children in local communities and worldwide. The Carter Lay Charitable Fund recently adopted Westminster Elementary school in Venice, California through the Adopt The Arts program. Co-founded by Carter Lay and Crystal Fambrini in 2010, the Carter Lay Charitable Fund is dedicated to helping individuals and non profits whose focus is to make the world a more peaceful and happy place.
"Matt's dedication and connection to the kids is inspirational; he treats them how I treat my own kids — with nothing less than pure love and support," explains Carter Lay.
"The energy created by Adopt The Arts has provided me an opportunity to invest in my neighbors and focus on a worthy cause in my own backyard.
"Venice is my home and it is a must for me to give back to the community on a local level by adopting Westminster Elementary."
Courtesy photo credit: Tiffany Rose / MSO PR