The Pulse of Radio reports that rumors have once again surfaced that RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE will enter the studio in the next few months to begin recording its first album of new material since 2000's "The Battle of Los Angeles". According to TwistedEar.com, an alleged source at Sony Music, the band's label home, said that the disc could come out in 2009, adding, "We're hopeful, but a new album is far from definite."
MusicRadar.com, however, has posted a brief statement from a spokesperson for guitarist Tom Morello, who said the story was "officially and unequivocally without merit. I can categorically deny this rumor. The band has no plans on recording new material."
Both Tom Morello and vocalist Zack de la Rocha have consistently downplayed the idea of the band recording again. In a rare recent interview with the Los Angeles Times, de la Rocha said, "As far as us recording music in the future, I don't know where we all fit with that. We've all embraced each other's projects and support them, and that's great."
RAGE reunited last year for live work, most recently doing gigs outside both the Democratic and Republican conventions. Morello told The Pulse of Radio he expects the band to continue playing concerts. "The relationship between the four of us is really great now, and we've had a great time playing these RAGE shows and I think everybody's open to doing more performances," he said. "Some of these shows that we've played have been transcendent, have just been awesome, you know, both between the four of us and the relationship between, you know, the band and the audience has been pretty spectacular. So there's no reason why we shouldn't continue doing that."
The band does not have dates slated for the immediate future.
Morello issued his second solo album as the NIGHTWATCHMAN on Tuesday (September 30), titled "The Fabled City". He'll begin a tour in support of the CD on November 1 in San Francisco.
De la Rocha's new act, ONE DAY AS A LION, released its self-titled debut EP in July.