The music industry trade magazine Pollstar has unveiled its annual Mid-Year Worldwide Tours chart, which ranks the top 100 concert tours around the globe during the first six months of 2018 by gross ticket sales.
While the chart is dominated by pop stars such as Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and Justin Timberlake, it also includes several notable hard rock and metal artists:
09. ROGER WATERS ($60.7 million)
12. FOO FIGHTERS ($53.6 million)
19. METALLICA ($40.6 million)
21. BON JOVI ($38 million)
35. QUEEN + ADAM LAMBERT ($23.9 million)
43. JOURNEY / DEF LEPPARD ($21.2 million)
52. IRON MAIDEN ($17.3 million)
53. KID ROCK ($17.1 million)
83. AVENGED SEVENFOLD ($10.5 million)
91. SCORPIONS ($10.1 million)
In addition, Pollstar has posted its Mid-Year Top 100 North American Tours chart, which also covers the reporting period of January 1 through June 30. Among the acts included:
10. BON JOVI ($38 million)
19. JOURNEY / DEF LEPPARD ($21.2 million)
29. KID ROCK ($17.1 million)
49. FOO FIGHTERS ($10.3 million)
55. AVENGED SEVENFOLD ($9.5 million)
81. FOREIGNER ($5.8 million)
83. QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE ($5.7 million)
89. JUDAS PRIEST ($5 million)
Pollstar also reports that the three-day Lollapalooza Brazil festival — which featured performances by PEARL JAM, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, VOLBEAT, ROYAL BLOOD and numerous acts in other genres — was the top-grossing concert of the year's first half, with 300,000 total tickets sold (that is, 100,000 per day) and a gross of $23.4 million.
Meanwhile, the two-day Corona Hell & Heaven festival in Mexico City, Mexico — where the likes of SCORPIONS, OZZY OSBOURNE, JUDAS PRIEST, MASTODON and MEGADETH performed — was the 40th highest-grossing concert of the year to date, with ticket sales totaling $6.9 million.
The annual Pollstar rankings of the concert industry's top acts are tabulated for all worldwide shows performed between January 1 and June 30, 2018. Ticket sales figures are calculated in U.S. dollars and are based on reported information and extensive research.