According to The Pulse Of Radio, VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen has been named the greatest guitarist of all time in a new poll sponsored by Guitar World magazine. Almost half a million votes were cast in the survey, which was the first ever commissioned by Guitar World on this subject. The tournament-style poll began in April with a total of 132 guitarists that were gradually winnowed down to the final match-up between Van Halen and QUEEN axeman Brian May, with Van Halen beating out May with 62 percent of the vote.
May was no slouch, creating an upset situation by knocking off Jeff Beck, George Harrison, Les Paul, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix before going head to head with Van Halen. The latter also polled against contenders like Slash, Joe Satriani and Randy Rhoads on his way to the top spot.
02. Brian May (QUEEN)
03. Alex Lifeson (RUSH)
04. Jimi Hendrix
05. Joe Satriani (CHICKENFOOT)
06. Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)
07. Tony Iommi (BLACK SABBATH)
08. Steve Ray Vaughan
09. "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott (PANTERA)
10. Steve Vai Eddie Van Halen has appeared on the cover of Guitar World 21 times. Van Halen is currently recuperating at home after having intestinal surgery last month. The band came off the road midway through a summer tour and will resume its live performance sometime in 2013. Eddie's son and bass player, Wolfgang, has been keeping busy by playing in Mark Tremonti's touring band, while singer David Lee Roth has been amusing himself by making videos in which he speaks on a number of topics. See the bracket for the poll at this location and a list of the top 100 guitarists of all time by clicking here.