The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund, founded in memory of the world-renowned voice of DIO, BLACK SABBATH and HEAVEN & HELL, will host its second awards gala on Halloween night, Wednesday, October 31 at the Avalon nightclub in Hollywood, California. Awards will be presented to seven distinguished honorees for their contributions to spreading awareness of Fund's important work.The event will include a live performance by DIO DISCIPLES, comprising former members of the band DIO, with a number of prominent rock musicians joining them on stage for an all-star jam. Among the rockers planning to join the celebrity jam session are: * Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, FATES WARNING)
* Billy Morrison (THE CULT, CAMP FREDDY)
* Glenn Hughes (BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, DEEP PURPLE)
* Frankie Banali (QUIET RIOT)
* Stephen Pearcy (RATT)
* Joey Belladonna (ANTHRAX)
* Michael Sweet (STRYPER)
* Oz Fox (STRYPER)
* David "Rock" Feinstein (THE RODS)
* Members of BUCKCHERRY In addition, Terry "Geezer" Butler, Eddie Money, Glenn Hughes, Frankie Banali, Stephen Pearcy, Joey Beladonna and David "Rock" Feinstein are among the performers who are scheduled to present awards to the fund's distinguished honorees. A privately funded 501(c)(3) charity organization dedicated to cancer prevention, research and education, the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund has already raised more than $500,000 in its short history. Monies raised have been committed to the cancer research work of the T. J. Martell Foundation for cancer, AIDS and leukemia research and the gastric cancer research unit of the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, where Ronnie was treated for gastric cancer during the last six months of his life, according to Wendy Dio, widow of the late singer and fund president/founder.
The Halloween Spooktacular at the Avalon will include gourmet food stations and a hosted bar, a silent auction, live auction, and a performance by the weirdly wonderful performance troupe CIRQUE BERSERK.
Awards named after songs written by Ronnie James Dio will be presented to the following distinguished honorees:
* Man On The Silver Mountain Award
Honoree: Neil Warnock
Founder and CEO of The Agency Group worldwide
* Rainbow In The Dark Award
Honoree: Stanley J. Diamond
partner, Diamond & Wilson, and member of the Board of Directors of the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up & Shout Cancer Fund
* King Of Rock 'N Roll Award
Honoree: Tony Iommi
legendary guitarist for BLACK SABBATH and HEAVEN & HELL and recent cancer survivor
* Killing The Dragon Award
Honoree: Charlie Hernandez
President of QED Productions and veteran production manager, who, with partner Lori Tierney, are the driving force behind Just a Bunch of Roadies, a nonprofit organization formed by musical touring industry professionals to respond to humanitarian crises.
* Stand Up And Shout Award
Honoree: Bob Chiappardi
Founder and CEO of Concrete Marketing, one of the largest independent lifestyle marketing companies in the music industry,.known for its work with cutting edge rock and heavy metal artists
* Master Of The Moon Award
Honoree: Alex Hodges
CEO, Nederlander Concerts
* Sacred Heart Award
Honoree: Dr. Raul Mena
Director of the Roy and Patricia Disney Cancer Center in Burbank, who concentrates in the area of cancer research
Eddie Trunk of VH1 Classic's "That Metal Show", who was presented with the fund's Long Live Rock 'N Roll Award at last year's gala, will once again serve as special guest emcee.
"We are really looking forward to our second annual awards gala," says Dio Cancer Fund chairman Gloria Butler. "It will have quite a different feel from last year's inaugural extravaganza at the Playboy Mansion, this year replaced with ghosts and goblins on Halloween night at Avalon, an all-star jam, the amazing Cirque Berzerk, the fortune tellers, strolling magicians and free flowing delicacies. It's sure to be a 'spooktacular' night for a special cause."
Fund founder and president Wendy Dio adds: "The support the Dio Cancer Fund has received since its beginnings shortly after Ronnie's death has been overwhelming. Our mandate is cancer prevention, research and education, and we are proud and gratified to be able to recognize this year's honorees for their contributions toward spreading the word about our mission. Ronnie would have been so proud of what we have accomplished so far, and he would especially have loved to party on Halloween."
The Avalon is located at 1735 North Vine Street in Hollywood. General-admission tickets start at $200 with special VIP ticket packages that include reserved seating and admission to the Bardot Club are also available. Information regarding the fund as well as tickets and sponsorships for the gala are available at www.diocancerfund.org.