BLACK SABBATH's "Iron Man" reigns as the #1 song in the definitive metal count down "40 Greatest Metal Songs" airing on VH1. The countdown, which began Monday, May 1 will culminate on Thursday, May 4 at 11 p.m., with the top ten songs of all time. Hosted by Sebastian Bach (who can be seen on VH1's "SuperGroup" beginning May 21 at 10 p.m.), "40 Greatest Metal Songs" kicks off its metal month and brings you the 40 most notable metal songs of all time in four rockin' half hour episodes. Whether epic, political, scary or downright silly, these tunes have one thing in common: they will rock your friggin' socks off.
Each half-hour episode of "40 Greatest Metal Songs" will feature VH1's panel of rock scholars and metal all-stars like Lars Ulrich, Scott Ian, Jerry Cantrell, Ronnie James Dio, Toni Iommi, Dave Mustaine, Lemmy Kilmister, David Draiman of DISTURBED, Frank Bello, Riki Rachtman, Jacoby Shaddix of PAPA ROACH, Evan Seinfeld of BIOHAZARD, Tera Patrick, Chris Jericho, Doro Pesch, Dee Snider and many more who will weigh in on this definitive list of the greatest metal music the world has ever known. ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian steps up to the metal month plate by writing and recording the show's original theme music, which is a first in VH1 history. Never before has an artist written and recorded the music for a VH1 show that they also appear in.
The top 10 greatest metal songs of all time are:
01. BLACK SABBATH - "Iron Man" (1971)
02. GUNS N' ROSES - "Welcome to the Jungle" (1987)
03. METALLICA - "Master of Puppets" (1986)
04. AC/DC - "Back in Black" (1980)
05. JUDAS PRIEST - "You've Got Another Thing Coming" (1982)
06. KISS - 'Detroit Rock City" (1976)
07. IRON MAIDEN - "The Number of the Beast" (1982)
08. SLAYER - 'Raining Blood" (1986)
09. OZZY OSBOURNE - "Crazy Train" (1980)
10. MOTÖRHEAD - "Ace Of Spades" (1980)