The special edition reissue of AVENGED SEVENFOLD's second album, "Waking The Fallen", sold around 22,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 10 on The Billboard 200 chart. The 2003 disc was the first to feature guitarist Synyster Gates and bassist Johnny Christ as full-fledged members, and its last independent release before signing a major deal with Warner Bros. Records. Although the band originally wanted to reissue the record for its 10th anniversary, guitarist Zacky Vengeance told The Pulse Of Radio why it was held up for a year. "You know, between me and Matt [Shadows], our singer, digging deep within everything that we have, our vaults, and, you know, getting on the phone with my family members, looking through the house, scouring the attics of my parents' house, you know, where I grew up at, to really make this special, it took a little bit of extra time," he said. "And we were rushing to get it out on the anniversary, we would have loved nothing more than to be able to do that, but to us it was more important to have the quality product that our fans deserve."
The band has released the original first cut of the video for "Unholy Confessions", which was very different from the official video. The clip is also included in the reissue.
"Waking The Fallen" followed up AVENGED SEVENFOLD's 2001 debut, "Sounding The Seventh Trumpet".
Although the record sold just 3,000 copies in its initial week of release, it was eventually certified gold for sales of more than half a million copies in 2009.
New content on "Waking The Fallen: Resurrected":
* Two new songs, including the lead track "Waking The Fallen: Resurrected", which had been lost to history before it was discovered buried deep within the original multi-track recordings. Originally intended to make the album as a full song, it was ultimately reworked into a vocal free intro. Later the band drew inspiration from this lost song's piano intro, building it out into their hit song "Beast And The Harlot" off their next album, "City Of Evil". This song is a previously unknown link between two major eras in the band's career.
* Four never-before-heard demos recorded by THRICE's Teppei Teranishi, including "Chapter Four", "Remenissions", "I Won't See You Tonight Part 1" and "I Won't See You Tonight Part 2". These early version demos contain alternate lyrics, melodies, and arrangements giving fans a unique and unprecedented behind the scenes look at the evolution of four of the band's most popular songs.
* Five live versions recorded in 2004 from some of the band's earliest shows, including "Chapter Four (Live In Ventura)", "Desecrate Through Reverence (Live In Pomona)", "Eternal Rest (Live In Pomona)", "Unholy Confessions (Live In Ventura)" and "Second Heartbeat (Live In Ventura)". Very little live material from this era of AVENGED SEVENFOLD's career has ever seen the light of day.
* A 30-minute documentary featuring brand new interviews from band looking back on the of the leadup, demoing, recording and touring around the "Waking The Fallen" album. The 30-minute film includes personal behind the scenes home movies and photos from the band's earliest days.
* The original first cut of the "Unholy Confessions" music video.
"Waking The Fallen: Resurrected" track listing:
01. Waking The Fallen
02. Unholy Confessions
03. Chapter Four
05. Desecrate Through Reverence
06. Eternal Rest
07. Second Heartbeat
08. Radiant Eclipse
09. I Won't See You Tonight Part 1
10. I Won't See You Tonight Part 2
11. Clairvoyant Disease
12. And All Things Will End
01. Waking The Fallen: Resurrected
02. Second Heartbeat" (Alternate Version)
03. Chapter Four (Demo)
04. Remenissions (Demo)
05. I Won't See You Tonight Part 1 (Demo)
06. I Won't See You Tonight Part 2 (Demo)
07. Intro/Chapter Four (Live In Ventura)
08. Desecrate Through Reverence (Live In Pomona)
09. Eternal Rest (Live In Pomona)
10. Unholy Confessions (Live In Ventura)
11. Second Heartbeat (Live In Ventura)
12. I Won't See You Tonight Pt. 1 (Live In Ventura) (Hopeless Records pre-order only)
13. I Won't See You Tonight Pt. 2 (Live In Ventura) (Hopeless Records pre-order only)
DVD track listing:
01. Waking The Fallen: Resurrected Documentary
02. Chapter Four (Live Footage Video)
03. Unholy Confessions (Official Music Video)
04. Unholy Confessions (Original First Cut Music Video)
AVENGED SEVENFOLD and KORN co-headlined this year's Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival, which kicked off its annual run on July 5 in Devore, California and wrapped on August 10 in The Woodlands, Texas.
Other acts on the bill included ASKING ALEXANDRIA, SUICIDE SILENCE, TRIVIUM, MISS MAY I and more.
AVENGED SEVENFOLD's latest album, "Hail To The King", was certified gold on July 16 by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association Of America) for shipments in excess of 500,000 copies. Released last year, it was the band's second straight CD to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard chart, following 2010's "Nightmare".